Stress busters

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 04:13:08 PDT

Hey what a great time of year to do this thread.
I have in the past year found the incredible benefits of weekly therapeutic massage. (chiropractic also)
 ( I can honestly say that I am "well- adjusted ")
1/2 hour every Tuesday night. (sometimes an hour if someone else cancels)
I keep the appointments as if it was a doctor's appointment.(very important to my well-being)
I even started working out (weight training, and cardio) (I'm just not the dancy aerobic kinda gal)

Oprah had a great show on parenting one time, and the gist of it centered around this concept:
If you don't take care of yourself, who will. And your first priority has to be your well-being. You are also setting an example for your kids (even your students).
 So if you neglect yourself constantly and just focus on others, you will not be around when they really need you , nor will you be mentally all there.
Burn out is a dangerous thing in teaching.
We are all so very passionate about our profession. We run the risk of being obsessive.
 I too have:
 gone without sleep
lifted things that were way too heavy because I thought I was invincible
skipped lunch (I'll just eat later )
went in really really sick (because the world cannot possibly revolve without me ) (just call me Artlas)

 (that one is a hard hard habit to break)

how do I beat stress,
 stop rushing around and actually talk to people once and a while.
 weekly massage
scented lotions
shopping
good blues, jazz, old punk 80's songs once and a while ( "I wanna be sedated" is a favorite)
gardening, clicking off reality TV to enjoy discovery channel or history channel.
avoid negative people as if they were diseased
sushi with chopsticks so you take your time
spicy Indian food , (even if you can't tell what's in it)
go to the museum, park, fleamarket just observing people can be relaxing,
 just don't get sucked in by the bad drivers,
    people who park in handicapped parking, and RUN into the store,
    parents who let their kids run wild in the store ( yesterday )
wear wild clothes once and a while(the kids crack up with snake skin tights or bright lizard earrings)

There are some things in life that are beyond your control.
But take care of yourself so that you are balanced enough to create the amazing impact that we dedicated art teachers make on the world !!!
thank for sharing and listening,
 I am still snickering about the banjo and the howling dogs :)
Christine Besack :)

---