Re: Seeking advice on packing for move to a different building

---------

From: John Kupcinski (jckup_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 21:41:21 PDT

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Irene wrote:
>For those of you who have ever had to move, I would like any advice.

>Should I start throwing things out?
I faced your predicament three years ago. All of the acquired *treasures*
that had to be packed were from my predecessors, as it was my first year at
this school. I learned the true meaning of the word pack rat. My advice:
definitely start throwing out what you haven't used or looked at in a
serious length of time. (Think: I have to unpack this at the other end --
what am I saving it for?)

Another suggestion: try to do the organization of stuff BEFORE you start
the packing up process . . . grouping of painting media, printmaking stuff,
fibers, clay, etc. It will help you to efficiently unpack it all and
organize your new space.

>Did you get paid to come in during the summer to pack?
LOL! We were given two days, at the end of the year, to pack out our rooms
-- the ususual end-of-the-year teacher work days. The library and computer
lab people got to close-up shop a week early to organize and start the
packing up process, while I taught classes right up to the end. Classroom
teachers had their two dozen textbooks boxed up even before the end of the
week. Am I complaining? -- you bet! Administrators have no clue as to
the amount of materials an art room has . . . if you can talk your admin
people into giving you extra time, go for it!

More advice: Put your last name/Art Room /and a sequential number on each
box. On a separate sheet of paper I kept a simple packing list (example --
#3/ brushes and watercolors). Even with the weeding out process, I
physically packed 214 shipper-sized boxes of "stuff" . . . and 196 actually
arrived at the final destination. At least I knew what had gone missing.

The rest of the story: We moved into a brand new building, except . . .
the new art room supply closet wasn't half the size of the old one, and
there were NO shelves to put things on! Eventually, after school had
started, I scrounged up old metal library shelves. The unpacking was as
physcially exhausting as the packing-up had been . . . by that time, I
didn't care that some of the boxes had gone missing, and actually wished a
few more had taken the detour! (Probably, if it had been my accumulation
of stuff, I would have felt differently).

I hope NEVER to have to do that again. Good luck to you . . . think of
those wonderful sunsets and the pastorial setting that await your arrival.
Cheryl

---