Re: How do you make a year plan?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 17:45:23 PDT

Thanks Makio for replying to the list with your plan.
http://kawama-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Curriculum.htm

I never got the post that Carolyn made (so thanks for adding the snippet).
Carolyn - let me turn you on to Sandy Bacon. Sandy has done a bang up job
planning her year around themes/art time periods. She will be off sailing
most of the summer so you might want to connect with her
sbacon@ix.netcom.com. I had a co-worker who planned her whole currciulum
over the summer - one year it was all American Artists - another "Pass port
around the world" - another "The rain forests" - another around visiting
authors - Another ancient cultures - and so forth. She would make her
samples too during the summer so her year would run more smoothly. I rarely
saw her do the same project twice with kids.

For me, I planned my curriculum around core subjects. Ironically, I had lots
of visual resources for more art centered lessons (like abstrart - non
objective art - various artists - etc)....However, our focus was on
TECHNOLOGY and I could not get any technology resources approved unless they
were interdiscipliary (LOL - One year, I even bought art prints I thought
core teachers would LOVE to display in their classrooms - ha-ha - the joke
was on me. No one wanted them - money thrown away that year - I guess if we
had had email then, I could have determined more easily their needs).
Anyway - water under the bridge. I would have certain cultures and art
periods/units I would teach at certain times of the year because that is
when they were studied in the core (I did most of this just by talking to
the kids to find out what they were studying when - it didn't very much from
year to year). For instance - fish was spring for seventh grade cause that
is when they studied the anatomy of a fish in science - we had a microscope
in art, too.
I still have my old year plan online so folks get an idea how long we took
on projects (little time fillers/sketch assignments were stuck in here and
there for folks who finished early):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/yearplan.htm

I put my "year plan" into a table form every year (for the last 6 years) and
distributed it to the core teachers -- Oh -- I did send out a survey to them
one year to find out what they taught and when - I got enough back to
determine when I could teach what. I found that kids were motivated to learn
content in my class when it was relevant to what they were learning in other
classes.

I think this is an interesting topic. Oh Makio - I saved your post so we can
talk about putting a lesson or two on IAD with links to your site. I hope
summer is good for you.

Judy Decker - Ohio