Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

irate parents

From: Frances Briggs (frances.briggs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 17:38:40 PDT

I had the same source of stress a few weeks ago with two different parents.
Luckily time healed it. I realized that one parent wanted her son to be
accomplishing more than he actually was and she resented the grade and
comments I gave him. It was very dificult to keep my dignity and defend my
position. In the end I realized that sometimes the parents want some way in
which the student can make up what they failed to do in the past. I gave
one student an extra credit assignment which finally calmed his parent.
Another student with an irate parent I simply could not reconcile with
because she would not accept the fact that her child had misbehaved and I
commented n this via the report card. Unfortunately, my encounter with her
really upset one night of sleep, however, after about a week I was able to
let the whole incident go. I hope this helps in some way.