Re: Michel- a misunderstanding from Judy

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 14:24:01 PDT

Tammi, Judy summed it up well - I wrote that this morning after being up all night dodging tornados! I should NEVER post when I'm tired! *L* My intention was I NEVER teach the same lesson twice exactly the same way, and NEVER to more than one grade level. I often will repeat a lesson the following year with a lower grade level if I find that a class finds it too easy. It sounds like alot of lessons, but I am constantly scrounging for ideas. At the primary building I look through library books for inspriation. I get tons of ideas from this list. When I get insprired about a topic, subject matter, or culture (this year it was Africa) then I immerse myself in learning, look for several lesson ideas, and do alot of research. This often transfers into my own artwork. I usually meet with area art teachers once or twice per year and we share ideas. I go when I can to the state conferences (budget has kept me from nationals, darnit!). I don't run myself ragged except in May when my 3 art shows start. :-) The trick is to try to balance your projects so that you aren't coming up with new lessons for each class at the same time. If 5th grade is working on a 2 week lesson then I can devote some time to the other grades. And I don't start totally from scratch on every project - if I want to teach Impressionism and I like using the homemade brushes then I might play around with subject matter. :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

>I knew you would get that idea.....I am answering in case Michal dosn't have time. Michal NEVER does the same project with >more than one grade level. Doesn't even do the exact same lesson twice - Changes it every year to keep fresh and motivated >herself.
>Judy
    Michal- Either you misunderstood my question , or I am not understanding your answer. My question is if you do a different lesson for each grade level and you said "NEVER". So if we understand eachother correctly, you do the same lesson for each grade K-5??? Is that correct? If the opposite is true (meaning you have 6 different lessons daily- one for K, one for first grade, and so on... actually 13 lessons for you since you teach K-12!!) , do you find you are running yourself ragged or do you have a wonderful way you stay organized and prepared that you can share???

    NEVER! In fact, I usually have so many ideas that I don't even do the same
    lesson twice from year to year. Sometimes you can take the same subject
    matter and add some interesting twist or change mediums. :-)
    ~*~Michal~*~
    K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
    http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

---