RE: my school is closing :-(

---------

Renee.Berg_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 07:49:11 PDT

Carolyn, I'm in a similar situation. We reduced staff also, all in the exploratory areas to pay for new reading and math teachers.One department totally cut at 7th grade. It switched us art teachers all around. I am staying put at the middle school full time,(the last 3 shifts, I did the moving around) but it rifted one art position, and shuffled my art partner to 1 class here at the middle school and the rest of her time at the high school, one high school teacher now has to travel 3/10 of her job down to elementary and she has never done elementary, she is more a college level teacher. I will miss the person I teach art with, we are attached at the hip. There are many hard feelings going around out of the 6 of us art teachers in the district. It feels awful. Yesterday, we were told, we would lose one of our two art rooms to Spanish and music and that my art partner will teach out of my room during my planning hour. She feels real displaced, with no room to call her own, not to mention all her stuff will not fit at either building. We do not have room in my room to store all the students work. You are right that we should feel blessed just have a job, but you can have a miserable job and you might be better off without it. I'm not there but I was 4 years ago. I quit part of my job and went part-time just to get my family life back.
Renee

Renee Berg
6th,7th Art and 8th grade Art Tech
Mitchell Public Schools