Re: Surrealism and Cubism for Fifth Graders

---------

From: kcaraway (kcaraway_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 23:05:51 PDT

I used this in high school, but it ought to work with 5th too:

Students learned how Cubism shows the scene from a variety of different
viewpoints. Then we go outside if it's nice and all draw a tree. They use a
variety of paper shapes and sizes. Some student draw close up, others draw
the whole tree, maybe just a leaf. I even had one kid get up in the tree
once. (Kids, don't try this at home!) Then we come back to class and paint
them. When they are done, a group of kids who volunteer puts them together
to form an interesting, balanced design and tapes them all together on the
back, and it is displayed on the wall. In bad weather once, we used a
dinosaur figure instead. Head, tail, from top, from below, close up of head,
one foot only, etc.

I also had them use "shattered" sections of a large piece of paper once, but
it's a lot of trouble to put it back together.

Karla

---