Re: What is Important?

---------

Bicyclken_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 22:16:58 PDT

In a message dated 5/9/2003 7:47:44 PM Pacific Standard Time,
artappeal@attbi.com writes:

> The art room is where they can
> practice and experiment, and time is very precious. How do you all decide
> what is important?

I think that I would like to give all my students a chance to create with
many different medias and modes of design. The creative process of making a
statement or bringing some meaning to the work can be expressed better when
you have the tools, media, and knowledge of how to use them,This is important
so that you can make your ideas come out and be appreciated by the public.

I begin with what I know best. I can give them this because it is from my
confidence in the media that helps build confidence in themselves. They like
to know that I have a solution ot the media problems and can show them how to
work with things. By their senior year they are motivated to do their own
thing and A.P. is the place they can do that.

What's important? I don't have the answer, but for me It's important that
they leave me with a knowledge of media, design theory and art history to
help them be their own artisic person and appreciate the art in others.

Ken Schwab

Art teacher, Leigh high school, San Jose, CA
website: Leigh Art

---