why did YOU like art?

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 19:47:16 PDT

Aaah, this is the time of year that I reflect upon what I taught, what I
didn't teach, and what I need to teach next year. It always overwhelms me.
Art is such a rich, vast, varied, and subjective subject that it can be
taken in a thousand directions. As important as I think history, theory,
criticism, and philosophy is, I keep coming back to the fact that the bottom
line reason I care about any of those aspects of art is because I like to
MAKE THINGS.
I didn't care about what my art meant until I got my clumsy hands to make
something I was proud to show and explain. Likewise, while I feel
integrating with other subjects, and reading, and writing are important, I
loved art class because we created objects. Most students crave and
anticipate the opportunity to do hands on, creative activities. They count
on us (the art teachers) to teach them the production skills and techniques
they need to create what they have in mind. The art room is where they can
practice and experiment, and time is very precious. How do you all decide
what is important?

Leah

---