saving work for art show (long)

---------

From: Geoffrey McClain (skygeoff_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 17:24:22 PDT

Here's how I do my art show: (grades 1 - 5)
The parent group (PTA) at my school asks for art room volunteers at their
first meeting in September. They send me the list all typed up. I usually
get about 12 -15 names. I call them and have them come to my classroom
during their child's art period all year long or as often as they can.
During that time, they can help me with the lesson but usually they mat
pictures. They work in the back of my classroom at a huge matting area,
below which I keep 24" x 36" colored paper - each color to its own shelf.
By "matting" I mean they glue the 2D work onto colored paper.
I also have the computer teacher print up two name and class stick-on
labels for every child I teach (about 450). My art room aides use these to
label each picture. I save the 5 or 6 best works from each project from
each class. The children don't know I choose their best work. I tell them
that I pick one or more pictures or 3D works from every child so if I don't
pick their work in say, October I might pick it in January. I keep track of
who's work I pick by putting a dot by their grade in my grade book. This
way I know exactly which piece of work I have picked.
So the "matting" starts in October after the first projects are finished.
(Most of my lessons last from 4 -6 weeks. I meet the classes for one 45 min.
pd./week)
By about April I have one or more pieces all ready to be displayed for each
child. I keep everything on shelves in the back of my classroom. I send
home all work that is not to be in the art show.
Finally, during the Terra Nova testing week in late April, I have 2 hours
free every morning for the whole week. This is when I and my art aides hang
the show. Every teacher in the school takes down every single decoration so
I have the whole school to hang the show. There are miles (just joking) of
cork strips. We hang everything up and tape all the corners down on the
back (love my wide masking tape dispenser which holds two rolls of tape) and
one week later I put all the 3D stuff on tables in the front lobby. I do
this so it won't be up too long and possibly get damaged.
The teachers take all their classes on a "tour" of the show so the children
will be able to find all their work. The teachers let me know if there are
any misspellings or missing work.
The parents come for two hours on the official night of my show and they
stop in the art room to see me. I have 10 extremely talented fifth graders
standing at easels and painting. This year they are painting sunflowers.
The show remains up for about two or three more weeks so anyone who couldn't
come the night of the show will have plenty of time to see it. I do send
home the 3D work right after the show.
The teachers are very happy to take all their stuff down and not to have to
worry about decorating the halls for the rest of the year.
My students and I are very proud to see the whole school decorated in art
work for a whole month.
In June I have the children take down their own work except in grades one
and two. I find that the children are very careful about taking their own
work down.
Sky in NJ