Copyright laws and movies

---------

From: Pam Stephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 16:35:45 PDT

It is against copyright laws to show a video or movie in a classroom when it
has been rented or purchased for individual screenings. For a movie to be
shown in the classroom, it must be marked "Licensed for Public Performance."
Any indication that it is "for home use only " more than likely means that
it is not licensed for classroom screenings.

Most videos rented or purchased from the video store typically will be for
home use and should not be used in school settings especially if the entire
film is being shown for entertainment reasons rather than being tied
directly to instruction.

You might check with administration in your district. Our district has a
clearly stated policy about screening videos or films in the classroom.

Pam

---