RE: Help for students losing focus

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 06:57:57 PDT

I have a thoughtful 17 year old... I can't imagine he would be a problem in
class and he lives, eats and breathes art - but even he is goofy right now.
He just completed his AP portfolio and was so stressed labeling, packaging
and bar coding ... he said he felt like a huge weight was lifted from his
shoulders and went straight to bed. It wasn't last minute, he was well
prepared - just mentally stressed and exhausted.

He is beginning a weaving in textile class and I wondered how the kids would
stay focused - I tried to gather a bunch of different materials for him to
weave - hoping he would catch on and start to look for nontraditional
objects - thinking if he were challenged, like a game for the unusual, he
would stay interested.

I have shifted my class activities to collaborative work, they are going
to talk anyway (think quilting bees with wood and paint)..and small
competitions - kind of like junkyard wars for the art room (for my 2- 7
grades).... we just finished two weeks of testing, so were are all batty -

Ellen

---