Printmaking - Silkscreen links

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 03:55:59 PDT

Lesson Two:Art for Protest or Persuasion
(Printmaking Option)
http://mati.eas.asu.edu/ChicanArte/html_pages/Protest.L2-PrintM.html
This lesson presents one silk screen printmaker Eduardo Oropeza:
http://mati.eas.asu.edu/ChicanArte/html_pages/orop16.html
http://mati.eas.asu.edu/ChicanArte/html_pages/OropezaIssOutl.html
http://www.uwrf.edu/history/prints/la/eduardo-oropeza.html (same image as in
the lesson - compare to see which is the best quality)

More on this artist:
http://www.mpaexhibits.com/105.html
http://www.mpaexhibits.com/53.html

IAD has an excellent lesson online (by Connie Ferguson)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/connie-screen.htm
High school students could cut three (or more paper stencils) - LOTS of
Warhol resources online. I liked the celebrity portraits. Many on the
PowerPoint sharing list have Warhol PowerPoint to share- If interested -
join the group.

Nice lesson on repeat pattern (use textile design as motivation):
http://www.geocities.com/forartzsake/screen-printing.html

Jean Eger has this image -Anthony Gordon (couldn't find any mre though
online)
http://users.lmi.net/~jeaneger/silk.html

Ben Shahn
http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/psearch?Request=S&imageset=1&Person=207030

http://www.washingtonprintmakers.com/media_pull_2.html (some screen prints)
http://www.washingtonprintmakers.com/media.html (good site over all to show
kids on different printing methods - I have this link on my site)

About.com gives you these artist to check:
http://arthistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa051200e.htm
Andy Warhol, Ben Shahn and Robert Guathmey. (a very brief history is given).

This might give some good leads:
http://www.mruthvenart.com/html/serigraph.html
http://www.mruthvenart.com/html/gallery.html (prints like these could be
made with
paper stencils)

Printmaker Studio (good for a career related lesson)
http://www.printmaker.co.uk/oview.html#screen
http://www.printmaker.com/gallery.html (gallery)

LeRoy Neiman - good one to use.
http://www.leroyneiman.com/

Here are a few I found from the Yahoo link on my site.
H.C. Porter - nice work on her site:
http://www.hcporter.com/

Nancy Klotzle - might inspire (nature/landscapes)
http://www.jolaf.com/klotzle/

Janice Levy (nice site - I will feature her sometime on IAD)
http://www.janart.me.uk/

Anne Silber - still life and landscape
http://www.annesilber.com/

Marcus Stevens (Australia)
http://www.artdownunda.com.au/artwork.html

Pace Prints (has many silkscreen prints - you just have to look -- check
Artists)
http://www.paceprints.com/

Claire Jones Nash -no screen prints but has some very interesting collagraph
prints-could inspire some monoprinting - I have done some mono screen prints
with a similar look.
http://www.printmaking.org.uk/main.htm

I used Alexander Calder when I taught high school (his lithographs had the
appearance of silk screen prints)- Matisse, too (Jazz series) - and of
course Andy Warhol. I can find lots of Calder's lithograph print
reproductions - but not a good site for art history/art appreciation (those
sites are all about his sculpture). Maybe someone else can help. Other
artists I used include Robert Indiana, Stuart Davis, and Wassily Kandinsky.
I also used Native American art (I had some Northwest Coast prints - and
lots of Native American idea papers)
http://www.rogallery.w1.com/R/calder_alexander/calder_alexanderhm.htm (a
link on my site)

There are LOTS of sites of contemporary printmakers..... Someday soon I will
explore. I will check with the other list serves to see what they recommend.

This sounds like a job for our printmaking experts over the summer. I am
hopeful that they will help me revamp my printmaking resources page - badly
in need of an overhaul.

Judy Decker
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department