Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Printmaking - Silkscreen links

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 03:55:59 PDT

Lesson Two:Art for Protest or Persuasion
(Printmaking Option)
This lesson presents one silk screen printmaker Eduardo Oropeza: (same image as in
the lesson - compare to see which is the best quality)

More on this artist:

IAD has an excellent lesson online (by Connie Ferguson)
High school students could cut three (or more paper stencils) - LOTS of
Warhol resources online. I liked the celebrity portraits. Many on the
PowerPoint sharing list have Warhol PowerPoint to share- If interested -
join the group.

Nice lesson on repeat pattern (use textile design as motivation):

Jean Eger has this image -Anthony Gordon (couldn't find any mre though

Ben Shahn (some screen prints) (good site over all to show
kids on different printing methods - I have this link on my site) gives you these artist to check:
Andy Warhol, Ben Shahn and Robert Guathmey. (a very brief history is given).

This might give some good leads: (prints like these could be
made with
paper stencils)

Printmaker Studio (good for a career related lesson) (gallery)

LeRoy Neiman - good one to use.

Here are a few I found from the Yahoo link on my site.
H.C. Porter - nice work on her site:

Nancy Klotzle - might inspire (nature/landscapes)

Janice Levy (nice site - I will feature her sometime on IAD)

Anne Silber - still life and landscape

Marcus Stevens (Australia)

Pace Prints (has many silkscreen prints - you just have to look -- check

Claire Jones Nash -no screen prints but has some very interesting collagraph
prints-could inspire some monoprinting - I have done some mono screen prints
with a similar look.

I used Alexander Calder when I taught high school (his lithographs had the
appearance of silk screen prints)- Matisse, too (Jazz series) - and of
course Andy Warhol. I can find lots of Calder's lithograph print
reproductions - but not a good site for art history/art appreciation (those
sites are all about his sculpture). Maybe someone else can help. Other
artists I used include Robert Indiana, Stuart Davis, and Wassily Kandinsky.
I also used Native American art (I had some Northwest Coast prints - and
lots of Native American idea papers) (a
link on my site)

There are LOTS of sites of contemporary printmakers..... Someday soon I will
explore. I will check with the other list serves to see what they recommend.

This sounds like a job for our printmaking experts over the summer. I am
hopeful that they will help me revamp my printmaking resources page - badly
in need of an overhaul.

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department