Re: elementary art show planning- Any tips?(long)

---------

From: artappeal (artappeal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 19:06:56 PDT

Every year I have an art show in March. Right now, I'm the only teacher and
I have around 600 students. In years past, I've had up to 900. My show
consists of two pieces of work from each student displayed by classrooms and
on portable boards on the first floor of our school. Parents are invited in
for two hours on two nights (usually about 300 families attend). For
refreshments, I sent a note home with all students asking for a dozen
cookies from anyone who was able to donate. PTA pays for the punch,
napkins, cups, etc. We usually get enough for two nights, and when they're
gone, that's the way it goes. PTA parents put the show up (I have
everything organized and ready to go), serve the refreshments, take the show
down, and pass the work back. Timeline: Mon., show goes up, Tues., cookies
collected, first night of show, Wed., second night of show, Thurs., show
comes down, work gets passed back, and portable boards go back to district
storage. The hardest part is saving the work. I have a big box for each
grade in my storage room. I save work throughout the year (which is also
used for regular displays) and I go through it periodically to pass back
what I don't want, and trade older work with more recent work. I try to
keep the best of what each student does, but it really boils down to getting
samples of all we've done and making sure everyone has two pieces (or at
least one if the student is new). I usually succeed. Each student gets a
"certificate of achievement" given right before the show that lists what is
in the show so that students remember what they have on display. I letter
these during the summer and fill out the rest right before the show.

Leah

---