Re: elementary art show planning- Any tips?

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 18:34:49 PDT

I just got my show up last night. I have about 200 students, so I was only up
to my knees in art instead of my arm pits.
I keep artwork sorted by class, and I got a volunteer to help sort each
class's art into individual piles for each students. I passed back the art to
kids during their regular class time and had them choose which piece they
wanted for the show, then write about that piece. What they write becomes the
tag for their art. Most of my classes chose a piece right before winter break,
so at this time, they considered that piece again and the other work they did
since then, so the piles weren't unmanageable.

I leave the choosing up to the kids. One of their fine arts requirements is
evaluation and it states that they are to define reasons for preferences about
their art. They don't always choose their best work, and many don't choose
well, but I've only ever vetoed a few choices. They write about why they
chose the art and what it is and how they made it.

I don't know how to get a show together without spending extra hours doing it.
An insane amount of extra hours. So hopefully some out there know!.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---