How do you organize your classroom? (middle)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 15:52:44 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

A call came out on Art Education list on how to organize a middle school
classroom. I have soime tips saved to file to forward to her/him....but
please post anything you might have and I will forward. This summer a page
will be put on on ID with your tips. I asked DavisC to compile all of the
information he/she gets. My goal will be to get the room organization tips
on be fore fall.

From DavisC davisc@epix.net

I am looking for ideas for organizing supplies in my middle school
art room. I teach grades 5-8 and constantly struggle with maintaining
supplies.
I would like to find a way for supplies to be easy to reach, on hand for
students. My main challenge is paints. We use tempera and acrylics often,
clay
and glaze occasionally, markers and colored pencils occasionally.

Any tried and true methods of organization and distribution?

And so you don't waste time reposting anything That I have suggested - Here
is what I replied:

You won't believe this - but there was a thread on Getty ArtsEdNet not too
long ago. I will hunt for anything I have saved (although since I am no
longer teaching I didn't save much). I will forward what I can find later -
but wanted to tell you I saved your request and will work on it with the
list of"experts" over the summer. One idea I really liked from Bunki (and
Ken Schwab) is to make a wood top to a coffee can - drill holes for only a
certain number of brushes. At the end of the class period it is easy to see
if any brushes are missing. No one leaves until all brushes are returned
clean.
Bunki puts a white sheet of paper by the can for all to brush to prove it is
free of paint. I had table sets made of the various supplies we were using -
so only one person from each table needed to get the supply box for their
table....that same person was responsible for insuring the supplies were in
good order at the end of the class period. I had one long table as my supply
table - organized by grade level. PLEASE compile all responses you get to
this question and send to me at your convenience (put all together in one
email). Paints were stacked up in small butter dishes and place on a small
cookie sheet for each table - one person would carry paints for that table.
I had one water bucket per table for painting (they could get their own Cool
Whip dish if they desired - sometimes I would have two Cool Whip dishes
ready for each table - just depended on what I was doing)-- and a small
soapy water bucket for each table for clean-up (for hands and table - one
sponge in each bucket). I had long roll paper to cover the table -- when
done - if the next class didn't need it - one student rolled it up - I saved
the roll paper until it was totally gross - used it over and over again.

Judy Decker
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/