RE: What artists are important? - elementary level

---------

From: Hillmer, Jan (hillmjan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 04:47:21 PDT

I would agree, but I like to recognize and have the children learn about current artists,too. I also try to include various non-european cultures and artworks. When teaching in an urban public school, I made sure there was a well known Latino artist represented, and as well as Native American artists, African American artists, and Asian artists too. I still present a variety of artists now. This,of course, leads you to lesser known artists, but my hope is that the children learn to recognize great art from many cultures.
I teach 2nd - 5th grade now, K-6 previously. So, to your list I add Jonathan Green, John(?)Biggers, Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Hokusai, Faith Ringgold, Romare Bearden, Jaune Quick-To-See-Smith, Maya Lin. I'm sure there are more .

Anybody have some suggestions for Indian/Persian art & artists? That's a goal for next year for me.
Jan