Re: Surrealism and Cubism for Fifth Graders

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 19:58:51 PDT

I do a project with each movement - Surrealism is fun to do. I had my 5th
graders take a pumpkin and put it into a unique setting. You can do this
basic idea with any object. I found that by allowing them freedom to choose
their basic object took them off track and they had trouble focusing on the
basic concept of the lesson. You can also drag out the magazines and have
them combine objects that don't go together (dog's head on human body).

Cubism is fun to do with portraits. I combine a profile with a frontal view.
I've also seen where the students draw their entire portrait and then cut
them up. Look under 5th & 6th Grades for examples.
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Has anyone done a project recently with the upper grades (5th
specifically)
> involving surrealism and/or cubism? We are short on supplies (end of the
> year!) so we are looking for something with 1 or 2 media at the most. The
> students will be learning about Picasso of course, Braque, Gris, Dali,
> Magritte, and de Chirico.

---