Re: What artists are important? - elementary level

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 15:59:39 PDT

LOL - I cannot believe that I am going to answer this question after last
year when I asked and got ripped to shreds for "limiting" to the top
artists - those "must knows". Well, go ahead and rip away! Since art is not
required past 6th grade for my students I try to introduce them to the "big
names" - Van Gogh, Michaelangelo, Dali, Magritte, Warhol, Seurat, Picasso,
Rembrandt, Monet... and so on. My philosophy is that I want my students to
be able to recognize these artists throughout their life time. I focus on
more contemporary artists in the middle school and high school. With an hour
a week with the elementary students it is hard to teach them all I want them
to know, so I focus on what they need to know. There's my 2 cents worth! :-)
~Michal

> > Ellen made a post to ArtsEdNet asking for women artists for elementary -
We
> came up with a nice list ( I will forward at your request
> jdecker@woh.rr.com). I really hope someone else out there is interested
in
> Debra Butterfeild, too. I would love to see a lesson on her work. I would
> like to see this thread grow. What artists do you think are important to
> teach at the elementary level? I know you are busy now....so I will post
> again closer to summer.

---