Drawing for Dummies

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 14:50:32 PDT

Ok, here comes my wicked tongue.

I'm finding a little "offense." Drawing for Dummies? drawing is not
for dummies
this smacks at exactly what the article Christine sent is about.......
   how the culture influences the true meaning of art and WHERE IS THE
ART?

The whole Dummie series (of whatever ) only reduces to a bottom level
thinking and a thinking that pervades a lack of thinking. How can I
easily get through any given task.

If you, as an art educator, need a Drawing for Dummies book, then you didn't
get some kind of education along the line that you should have gotten.

Art making is not about formulas. It is about investigation and observation
and making connections and interpreting the observations to make art .

Think maybe I will write a book. Ideas for Dummies.

I think the models that we are working under only perpetuate the notion of
"Where is the art?"
We need to embrace just what the thinking is in art making....... and that
thinking may take us to places that are not so comfortable.

If we are truly art educators, we make no association with dummy. We
should be exploring as much as we ask our kids to explore and through that
we teach critical thinking and analysis .....and we need to pay attention
to the signs, symbols, and imagery that our young ones are barraged with.
Formulas don't work anymore.

I really wish we would take a serious look at the skills needed to convey
the messages of today. I'm not so sure drawing is one of them. There are
many ways to make observations.
I was teaching Velasquez today Las Meninas . Certainly the skill is to be
acknowledged, but more importantly is the why of what he observed.. ...the
engagement, the intricacies, all the possibilities for observation, and the
recording of the moment. The skill becomes secondary to the observation.

Skill without content... Is that our struggle? Is that why we are
always justifying our positions?
Our job is not to duplicate, or mimic or to be derivative. Our job is to
promote thinking and mostly to touch the thinking that they are thinking
and if we don't then we only teach a dummy content.

I apologize that I feel negative, but I feel struggling with issues is much
more important than another "how to."

Patty

---