Fun Ceramics and Fun Sculptures - great ideas!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 14:04:11 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I always got my ideas for projects by looking at art - Here are two artists
to inspire you to create some fun stuff!

David Stabley
http://www.stableys.com/david/
Clay houses - pedestals - tiles - A great inspiration for middle school and
high school projects.
Here is the FREE postcard I picked up:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Stabley.jpg
I have had students paint ceramics black and color with oil pastels to get a
finish similar to Stabley's. We used different colors of Rub 'n Buff too. I
can see grade four and up doing Stabley house tiles and such. Here is a neat
article from Arts and Activities with work inspired by Stabley:
http://www.artsandactivities.com/Page/Itworks/A129939a.html

Bill Hickman - Lots of ideas for sculpture on this site! Fun stuff! Picasso
faces, animals, masks and more. These sculptures are made from welded
steel - but I can easily see a ceramics lesson or paper mache. A nice tie in
with a lesson on Picasso, too -- and/or Oaxacan art
http://hickmanstudio.com
http://hickmanstudio.com/gallery.htm (gallery)
Here is the FREE postcard I picked up to remind me of his work:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Hickman.jpg

Midwest USA folks - this is just a small taste of what you will find at Ann
Arbor Art Fair in July 16-19- reply if you want to be included in the
meeting.

If either of these two artists inspire you in any way - do let me know
(Jdecker@woh.rr.com).

Judy Decker
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. The post cards deal is a way we can share pictures on IAD for a short
time. I will put online - make the post and leave them there for a week or
so. Then remove. I will keep them on my hard drive for anyone who needs them
and didn't save. You will even be able to share your own work this way. The
more permanent Teacher Feature web pages will all be turned over to
Karalee - our web expert in that field.

---