Re: design process with middle schoolers

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 12:53:11 PDT

I did a great mail art project with my 6th graders. It was our first project and it reviewed the elements of art and principles of design. I looked up real mail art calls on the net and we sent off postcards to them. I scanned each students work and printed out a color copy of it for them so they would get over the middle school anxiety of giving up their work. Throughout the rest of our lessons we could recall information from our first assignment. Sometimes we even got something back from the call for the kids. Since you are "isolated" up there that might be a way that students could connect by putting their art out into the world. My kids loved it. Jancy

David Lass <lassd@mail.ssd.k12.ak.us> wrote:I'm looking for new and creative ways in which to effectively teach the design process to middle school students. Please post ideas and or links that you have found to be helpful. My particular situation has me on an island in southeast Alaska, thus using museums etc. is out of the question. I know museums aren't the only resource, but finding others can sometimes be rather cumbersome. There's way too much junk out there to wade through.---