color theory

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 09:49:29 PDT

Yesterday and today I have had several students come to my class telling me one
of our science teachers told them I "didn't know what (she) was talking about"
re: color. They also told me he uses a high squawky Ms. Bowen voice with an
English accent (???).

Although I do teach red yelow and blue as primaries, I also tell them about
process colors, and we use process colors for beginning watercolor, so they
KNOW from hands on experience that CM&Y Do Not Make Black as he says it does,
and that they don't make all the colors they want.

I spend quite a bit of time on how the pigments we have available for paints
are not pure hues, that all paint available favors one side or the other, and I
demonstrate color mixing in ways that show that.

My 6th graders do an extensive color chart using Red orange yellow green blue
violet black white grey brown cyan magenta and if they want, sargent metallic
gold. It ends up 13" square and is like a multiplication table. This way they
experience all the 2-part color combinations available in my classroom. I also
explain to them that mixing colors with pigment is different than mixing color
with projected light.

So, personal and professionalism issues aside, (sort of) any advice? Should I
ignore this? He's telling them it is all my "fault" they are confused and
aren't understanding his lesson. I know one boy has spoken up and complained in
his class about the squawky voice he's using to quote me.

Betty

---