photography and science

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 07:06:33 PDT

FYI - this came in an NSTA newsletter ... I thought some of you might be
interested.

Ellen

Photography as a Teaching Tool? Online Course Frames the Techniques

Did you know photography could be used in the classroom as a metaphor for
scientific experimentation? The National Teachers Enhancement Network (NTEN)
has created a 3-credit-hour course for middle level and high school science
teachers and art teachers that provides the curriculum and the pedagogy to
bring this method of learning into your classroom. Since the tools of
photography are scientific apparatus, a creative exercise in photography is
both a scientific experiment and an exploration. Sound intriguing? You can
enroll in Science and Photography (PHYS 480), offered this summer by NTEN.
The goal of this course is to help teachers use experiments with photography
both as a technique for teaching concepts in science and as a way of
exposing scientific experimental methodology. The course begins on May 27,
so registrations are being accepted now. For complete details and to
register, click on http://www.scienceteacher.org/su03/phys480.htm, or call
1-800-282-6062. For information about all NSTA Institute courses, visit
http://institute.nsta.org/.

---