Future of ArtsEdNet Talk in limbo

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 19:20:44 PDT

ArtsEdNet Friends,

We have worried about this in the past.....Linda forwarded this message to
me (below)-- She knew I would get the word out. Due to the problems Getty
has been having with the talk system, they may be discontinuing the service.
I can certainly understand their reasoning. I would not advise flooding them
with email. I sent one tonight asking what we as teachers can do. I will let
you know if and when I hear back from Mr. Brod. Linda had inquired about the
digest version. I had inquired, too, back in March - however, I just re-read
my email and it hardly showed "distress". I can forward it to any who wants
to see what I wrote - Perhaps I didn't get a reply because mine was
addressed to Mark Stone (former list administrator)?

Nick's reply to Linda:

Hello and thanks for your comments. The development of ArtsEdNet in its
entirety has been on hold since the closure of the Getty Education
Institute a few years ago. The entire team that managed the site and its
contents no longer exists at the Getty. Consquently, development of the
site and all its contents is on freeze and we do not intend to make any
additions to the system or its service.

We are fully aware of the enthusiasm that our users hold for AEN but we
currently do not have the resource to apply to its upkeep. Of late, the
digest and talk system has been repeatedley failing and many of our
users have been expressing their distress at this state of affairs which
was one of the reasons for removing the daily digest.

We are currently engaged in a strategic project to look at ArtsEdNet
and its future and this work will happen over the summer here at the
Getty.

My apologies for not being able to make a more positive reply to your
specfic request.

Regards

Nick Brod

Nick Brod
Senior Web Producer
The J. Paul Getty Trust
1200 Getty Center Drive
Los Angeles, CA, 90049
This is what I wrote to Nick Brod:

Dear Mr. Brod,

I hope you don't mind that a very dear friend of mine forwarded this email
to me:

>> We are currently engaged in a strategic project to look at ArtsEdNet
and its future and this work will happen over the summer here at the
Getty.

ArtsEdNet Web site is a valuable resource for Art Education. This is my
request to keep the resources, images and lesson plans online. They are used
by thousands of teachers around the globe. I have seen links to ArtsEdNet on
sites from hear to France and Japan.

I can certainly understand your reasoning for now wanting to abandon
ArtsEdNet Talk. I know there have been problems with the server in the past.
But please try to keep the site available. If there is anything we as
teachers can do, please let me know and I will spread the word.

Thank you for your consideration and dedication to art education.

Sincerely,

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. There are other list serve alternatives.....I will get subscribe
information for all if and when you need it.....I don't need ArtsEdNet Talk
(smile) I have "Judy's Talk" now (my own special list I can use).

---