From: bits/pieces May 5

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 14:33:20 PDT

An Interesting Article about education:
..thinking about education during this century has almost entirely involved
just three ideas -- socialization, Plato's academic idea, and Rousseau's
developmental idea. We may see why education is so difficult and
contentious if we examine these three ideas and the ways they interact in
educational thinking today. Kieran Egan considers these ideas and their role
in current debates in Why Education is So Difficult and Contentious Go to
http://www.tcrecord.org

This a very interesting article and I suggest those of you that are willing
to take the time to think give it a look.. When you get to TC RECord copy
the title into the search engine to get to the article.
Although the article is lengthy and is addressed to education in general, I
think it gives art teachers much to think about.

Thank you Marge for sending these "bits and pieces." I always find
something to ponder.

Patty

---