Salary (humorous)

---------

From: Colette C (ctcolwell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 10:42:58 PDT

This is great! Enjoy!

This is not original, but being an art teacher I thought it might bear
repeating: Art teachers get paid too much.
I'm fed up with art teachers and their hefty salary schedules. What we need
here is a little perspective. Of course they've had to go to college and get
degrees, some of them even masters degrees, but after all, to do what? They
try to teach kids useless stuff like drawing and painting and about dead
artists who never mattered much anyway. If our kids need to learn such
stuff, fine, but I see no reason to pay more than minimum wage for someone
to teach my kid to play with clay and glue Popsicle sticks together. That's
right, instead of paying outrageous taxes, I'd give them $5.00 an hour
(minimum wage rounded off somewhat). Each parent should pay $5. per hour per
day. Now, how many children does an art teacher see a day, maybe, ohhh, 100
or so? Okay, times 100 children is...$5. x 100 =$500 a day. Sounds high but
remember, teachers only work 180 days a year, (I'm not paying them for
vacations either). Now, $500. times 180 days a year is...$90,000!!!!

Huh? Wait a minute. Let's get a little perspective here...minimum wage is
too high, after all what are they doing? Just baby-sitting, really. I see no
reason to pay minimum wages when my baby-sitter only gets $3.00 an hour.
(And she can draw better than that guy I saw...uhhh...Picasoso...whatever
his name was.) That's more like it I think. Let's see, that's $3. times 5
hours...$15.00 per day, times 100 kids, that's $300. Multiply that time 180
days and...mmmm...$54,000...?

GEEEEZZZ...Wait a minute, let's get a little perspective here....where the
heck did that salary schedule go...? (Maybe my calculator needs new
batteries.)

Written by Jim Lane