Middle School Sub Plans

---------

From: Kara LiCausi (klicausi_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 05 2003 - 05:10:50 PDT

I was just reading over the sub plan ideas that have been posted, and wanted to add a few of my favorites. The sub plans I leave are very similar to Jayna's, in that I leave a list of options for the students to choose from. The projects could be completed in colored pencil so that there are no issues with supplies. I have the students do their work in their sketchbook and hand them in for a grade to make sure that nobody is wasting time while I'm not around. I also use these for homework sketchbook assignments.
   1. Pretend that you are a fashion designer. Design an outfit for each season, complete with accesories. Pay close attention to the color schemes and how they would be appropriate to each season.
   2. Design a car, boat, plane, motorcycle, etc. Add interesting gadgets or features such as ones that could make them fly, or turn invisible. The students may label and describe the parts and often name their "machines".
   3. Draw an animal in a strange environment. The animal may be real or imaginary. I have seen elephants in fish bowls, and a herd of cows flying in the sky...a really fun project!
   4. Draw yourself or someone you know as a cartoon, a background must be included.
   5. Choose an image that is hanging in the classroom. Draw it as best as you can, but change the color scheme.
   6. Fold your paper in half. Choose a landscape and draw it twice, once on each half of the paper, but draw the landscape as you would see it in two diffrent seasone. Make use of warm and cool colors and add interesting details.
   7. Draw an everyday scene, such as a day at the zoo, park, carnival, etc, but either add 5 hidden pictures or draw 5 things within the picture that are bizarre, but not immediately obvious to the viewer.
    Hope these ideas are helpful!
Kara LiCausi
Northport Middle School

---