Re: Human beauty - I am interested in more

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 04 2003 - 10:27:58 PDT

> This link was posted to ArtsEdNet:
>
> http://goldennumber.net/beauty.htm
>
> This is great! I always talked about the concept of beauty when I taught
> other cultures.
----------------------------

The Discovery Channel produced a show a few years ago called The Face. It's
several hours long but wonderful. I show it in my high school art classes
and the kids love it regardless of the length. It poses all kinds of
questions as to how we perceive beauty and the opportunity to question these
ideals is abundant. It offers many opportunities to delve into and discuss
the curiosities, the psychology's, and the disturbance.

This is a long link to the Faces video
http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10000&
storeId=10000&productId=12198&langId=-1&search=Y&searchKey=307047679

I do a lesson in my Why Man Creates class on images of beauty. At this
point it is all on slides and lecture and based on my own perceptions.
Nothing linkable. Hopefully some day I will put this lesson into something I
can distribute. I've spent an enormous amount of time this semester
learning Macromedia Director so that I can produce CD's with all I want to
include in an introduction to a unit.
The theme of images of beauty is absolutely relevant. And something you can
make very personally expressive. I start my lesson by comparing the Venus of
Willendorf to DeKooning"s Woman I Then we establish a sense of 'beauty."
The notion of what is beautiful, especially by our young female students is
critical. The site offered, sets an ideal not achieved by most "faces.' The
question becomes whether we teach about the ideal or the reality. The
question remains as to just what beauty is?

Patty

---