Re: Easy Sub Lessons - All Grade Levels

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 17:02:01 PDT

Here is what I've tried for Middle School sub plans lately, and the kids seem to like it a lot. Next year I intend to give the students a Sub Assignment check list, with a list of assignments that can be completed in a day or two using colored pencil only (so the sub will not have to stress about supplies). I like the idea of giving the kids a choice, because it kind of feels like a "free day" to them rather than a day when they know they will have written work to complete. I feel much better about giving my students written work when I am there for feedback, anyway. So here are my ideas for next year's list: 1) How do you picture yourself in twenty years? What will you look like? What will your job be? 2) Draw your family portrait, but not in a posed format. Draw everyone the way YOU see them! Is your brother a pest? How could you show that? Does your sister think she's a princess? Draw her that way! Do you believe that your mother runs the household? How could you draw her? How should you look compared to
the rest of your family? 3) Fold your drawing paper in half lengthwise and draw the front of a locker. On the inside of the paper, draw the inside of the locker. You may draw it realistically, with books, notebooks, gym clothes, etc., or you can imagine that your locker door opens to another dimension to reveal a fantasy world. What would the inside of your locker look like then? (Thanks to the originator of this idea-I'm not sure who to give credit to) 4) What if there really is life on Mars? What would the environment look like? Draw it in either one or two point perspective. 5) Draw the inside of your bedroom (mess and all!) in one point perspective. And the list could go on and on, which I intend for it to do before I begin using it next year. I hope that with my list, kids know if a sub is there that they are supposed to pick something from the list that they haven't done yet. It should be completed with maximum effort for a grade. These can be finished when students have extra class time. What do you t
hink? Jayna