Bunki's cubes - so cool!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 12:06:27 PDT

Bunki posted a super idea:

>>The other lesson I've done similar is in 3D. I had some redwood (?) posts
that were about 3x3" and the shop teacher cut them into 3x3x3" squares. We
slightly sanded these to get off the spikes of wood which were left. Each
student got 3 of these square blocks which they stacked one on top of
another. They blocked off on drawing paper 9x12" three-inch squares which
gave them the specific measurements of each side of the stacked square and
they could sketch in their faces. They transferred onto the blocks with the
measured gaps lining up on each. We painted them in tempera. They could
"rotate" each block so they would have different parts of the faces
connected to make diff. other faces. When finished, they protected their
sculptures with clear spray paint.

Naturally, I asked for the image - I will put it on IAD soon -- but if you
want to try the project now --I will forward the images - send request to
Jdecker@woh.rr.com This will also be linked from middle school plans
(eventually - as a painting/sculpture lesson -- more details to follow --
soon, grin). I bet in a pinch you could make card board cubes to use and
color with markers. If anyone tries this project yet this year - I would
like to "hear" about it (and maybe see an image?)

Judy Decker

---