Re: sub plans 7-8 (Making Faces-long)

---------

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 11:13:50 PDT

Los Cerros Middle School
968 Blemer Road
Danville, CA 94526

>From: "Melissa Speelman" <lucylomax@cinci.rr.com>
> One of my most fun and successful sub plans has been based on the book
> "Making Faces" by Norman Messenger.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156458111X/ref=ed_oe_h/104-144
> 0569-4083134?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Thank you for sharing this book. I just ordered my copy at half.com for $2
and am excited about viewing it.

I have done two lessons similar with your "faces". When we were doing our
"Screamer" classes (monster-making), during the drying times we made monster
flip books like your face book. It was a great time-filler between drying
times and one they could always return to. I had forgotten all about this
lesson and glad you brought it up. I particularly like the idea of
laminating and binding them. We just used the old fashioned stapled way.

The other lesson I've done similar is in 3D. I had some redwood (?) posts
that were about 3x3" and the shop teacher cut them into 3x3x3" squares. We
slightly sanded these to get off the spikes of wood which were left. Each
student got 3 of these square blocks which they stacked one on top of
another. They blocked off on drawing paper 9x12" three-inch squares which
gave them the specific measurements of each side of the stacked square and
they could sketch in their faces. They transferred onto the blocks with the
measured gaps lining up on each. We painted them in tempera. They could
"rotate" each block so they would have different parts of the faces
connected to make diff. other faces. When finished, they protected their
sculptures with clear spray paint. I have a jpeg around here somewhere of
that lesson. If anyone's interested, I'll send it to you if I can find it.

Thanks again, Melissa, for sharing your book reference. Toodles....Bunki

---