Re: sub plans 7-8 (Making Faces-long)

---------

From: Melissa Speelman (lucylomax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 03 2003 - 06:07:14 PDT

One of my most fun and successful sub plans has been based on the book
"Making Faces" by Norman Messenger.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/156458111X/ref=ed_oe_h/104-144
0569-4083134?v=glance&s=books&st=*

If you are not familiar with the book, it is filled with front and side
views of faces, some very strange. Each section of the book flips to create
new and even stranger faces. There is also a "celebrity" version of the
book.

The book is the same size as legal paper (8.5"x14"). What I do is trace the
sections of the book as well as a few lines of the heads to show students
where their drawings must cross over in each section. This ensures that the
faces they draw will line up with everyone else's drawings. I photocopy the
template onto legal size paper for everyone. Students create their own face
(colored pencil), I laminate them and bind them together. Once bound, I cut
on the lines separating each section allowing students to flip and change
the faces.

The students love creating and looking at these faces. Many students create
multiple faces. This year I created a second template for the side view of
the face. Then I ask students to create a side view that matched their
front view. This proved to be pretty challenging for some.

If you are interested in my templates I'd be happy to send them via snail
mail. Just e-mail me your address off list. The templates are very easy to
make yourself since the format of the book is legal size. Just a note, I
photocopy the template for everyone very lightly so that the guide lines are
almost disappear once drawing and coloring is complete.

I love to see more sub plans posted for this age level. I could really use
some more great ideas.

Enjoy!

---