Re: Rousseau candle

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 18:29:55 PDT

Thanks! I love learning those little tidbits about different artists.
Students love to know info that makes these artists more like "real people".
I don't know that I will share the info about the drinking part with my 5th
graders (cause we all know they will remember Rousseau was a drunk! *L*) but
they will enjoy and appreciate the rest of the story. :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> Michal:

> I would hesitate to call myself a Rousseau expert, but I did read a lot
> about Rousseau during the making of the video and the writing of the book.
> The story that is usually told is that in 1908 Picasso planned the banquet
> as a sort of homage to Rousseau. Guests included Apollinaire, Leo and
> Gertrude Stein, and George Braque (among others). The food for the
banquet
> had been mistakenly ordered for the following day, so the group made do
with
> wine and sardines. It is said that 50 bottles of good wine were consumed.
> Everyone was more than likely intoxicated when Rousseau began to play his
> violin. It was during the violin playing that the candle wax from a
colored
> lantern dripped onto his head.

> During this party is when Rousseau allegedly told Picasso that they were
two
> of the greatest artists of their time. Apollinaire then composed a poem
> making fun of Rousseau's fabricated trips to the jungles (which Rousseau
did
> not deny).

> Some historians think that this party was a mean-spirited get together to
> make fun of a simple-minded man. Others think it was a real party to give
> honor to Rousseau upon the occasion of his sale of a painting (for 5
> francs). My take is that it was probably a little of both.
> Pam

---