Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Assessment in Art - Rubrics needed

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 17:31:30 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I know I have "talked" too much today already....but I don't want to let
another day go by without asking for these. Rubrics has been the top word
searched on my site the last two weeks (now whoever should be able to find
them as I changed the wording on my files page and put a link on the home
page). I am going to re-do my teacher files page since no one really needs
my year plan from over a year ago (smile).

Please send me links - or files for Rubrics that you have used. I have to
say that I fell back on my old stand-by more times than not. One year, I
wrote very detailed rubrics with the help of the kids (middle schoolers)
then spent over an hour with each one writing them up on the
computer.....and never taught those lessons again. I was taking a class on
Assessment at the time so I guess it was worth it.

Here are my rubrics:
Writing Rubric:

Adapted from Marvin Bartel (I used this one a lot!)

Grade Descriptors (used a lot with 8th graders - for self evaluation - This
file didn't translate to html very well - I can send a word file to anyone
who asks)

General Rubric (I gave this to the kids at the beginning of the trimester).
I got most of this from Woody:

Angela's Rubrics (I did use these some)

Behavior Rubric (I used this a lot) - from Teach-nology (so far they haven't
noticed I have it on my site - smile):

Student Self-Evaluation (originally obtained from a list member) - I adapted
it to different lessons:

Final Grade Evaluation - This was VERY successful:

An example of my old stand-by use-in-a-pinch type rubric:

I can send word files out for some of these files at your request - be sure
to copy the link in your email to me so I know which one you want

The links I already have for assessment/rubrics are:

The Staff Room for Ontario Teachers has many rubrics:

A simple rubric- easy to adapt:

Mr. Zimmer's Rubric for Grading Art:

A rubric template:

Michelle Harrell posted this

The Texas Center for Educational Development in the Fine Arts (CEDFA)
website has some valuable information that you may be able to use. It is
located at

There is a good one on the Texas Teachers site too (Pam if you are reading -
please post the link):

Once I hear from everyone - I will post results to the list. You can send me
rubric attachment off list

Thanks in advance for participating in this file sharing venture. Patty, if
you are reading - I would like to talk more with you about your research
findings in assessment. Maybe you could share some tools you have developed
with the list?

Judy Decker