Do you have lunch duty? Unruly 6th graders

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 10:07:53 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I got a call for help for handling discipline problems during lunch duty -
Can any of you help?

>> Dear Mrs. Decker,

>>Help! Please give me some pointers on how to deal with 6th graders that
are constantly on detention for bad behavior. Please keep in mind that I'm
a lunch duty aide and am with them for only about 45 minutes. What can I do
to try and reach these kids in an effective way. Let me know if you need
more details. Thank you,
Liz LizFelix@aol.com

This is what I replied so you don't duplicate:

Dear Liz,

I am kind of swamped right now.... See if these links will help. I find that
a little praise for good behavior goes a long way. "Reward" those who are
behaving and you will get more to follow. Work something out with the
administration - maybe let those who are behaving go outside to "play" when
they are done eating (administrator might be willing to help cover for
this). Have a special treat for those who are behaving.

http://www.proteacher.com/030001.shtml
http://www.disciplinehelp.com/behindex/default.htm

I will ask a list of "experts" what they would do and will forward responses
to you.

Judy Decker

---