Re: Student helpers

---------

From: Michael Delaney (edelaney_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 08:58:22 PDT

I have done this many time . Our school has a program called job shadowing
or internship. The kids get a credit and a grade. They have to have an
evaluation by the teacher and the students turn in an essay or mini-lesson
plans that could be taught. They may also do demonstarations for the
elementary students.
I had two students travel to an elementary school and work with a simi-blind
first grader. They would prepare their own little projects to do with him.
It was a reward for him to get out of class. If he had any behavior porblems
in the classroom then the teacher would e-mail me and the girls would stay
in the classroom. It was sort of like an indepent study. I am going to do
this next year with an art-mobile. We have an art-mobile that will travel
to various organizations and neighborhoods this summer. During school , I
will have a couple of students once a week teach lessons for thsi program.

I have also taken the whole class to an elementary school during class time
to teach a clay lesson with elementary classes. I would go and rotate
between the 2 classes, the elementary teacher would stay in the classrrom.
#- or 4 kids would be paired up with small groups. everyone was happy. We
carted the projects back to the high school and fired them and I would
delibver them sometime on my prep.Our schools were about 8 miles apart.

Thos that traveled in small groups have a permission slip from home that
they were allowed to drive to the site/ or allowed to ride with another
student. They did not miss any other class but mine.