[ArtsEducators] What IS Art?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 20:56:06 PDT

The elephant curiosity was brought about by human artists
       "spoofing"

when you can convince me that an elephant observes, and translates with
intention, then maybe I will consider it art
when you can convince me that my dog's natural instinct to dig, to make
piles, to cover up her "mess" has any intention other than that
   then maybe it' s art

> "Does Art require a human agent?"
It's always been the defining as far as I've known it.

Art requires an observation, a translation, a way of looking at what may be
familiar in new way, and most important -- a content
Art is not decoration or covering up your "droppings." It's finding a new
purpose for your 'droppings'
Art requires a brain that is asking another brain to make some notice

and as I always believe if art is everything then it is also nothing

gotta say I like the robot thing at Pratt

to paraphrase my favorite, Duchamp
   if there is no intent
   then we are all just monkeys with paint brushes

(with apologies to the monkeys)

Patty

---