Re: art and poetry

---------

bolide_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 05:27:14 PDT

One of my all time favorite lessons was with three classes of third graders. I separated them into groups of four. Each group analyzed a reproduction (the large Shorewood) for art elements and principals AND for story. Then they wrote free verse poems about them. We displayed the reproductions and poems in the halls. The poems became part of a poetry book in which students wrote different poetry forms of their own. Each child had two pages of their own in the books. We illustrated the covers with drawings on watercolor paper with watercolor pencils. Those drawings were part of a drawing on the right side of the brain lessons. They drew real flowers using contour lines (no backgrounds and no vases, ground) The finished product was lovely. There were also line drawings inside for some poems as well as concrete poems. Hope you can visualize this.
Linda W. in OK