Re: art and educational/spiritual development

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 20:46:35 PDT

Bring on the Theory anytime...I like to get in it and
roll around, personally. Oh, but I hope you don't
delete just 'cause I said that!

I think most writing kind of skirts the issue you
brought up, and rather stresses the importance of
inquiry-based appraoches and finding both
multiple perspectives and meaningful solutions.

This is of interest to me though, because recently I
encountered an "art teacher" (the babysitting kind)
that provided coloring pages to students exclusively.
And I have been meaning to tackle it - so your post
has helped me get under way. Maybe someone else will
even have more of a direct response/solution.

Here's my favorite site for today in the advocacy
corner:
http://communitydisc.wst.esu3.k12.ne.us/HTML/sdm/whyarts.html

A google search of coloring books and creativity
resulted in the
following:

http://www.goshen.edu/~marvinpb/11-13-01/Recommendations.html

http://www.preschooleducation.com/art60.shtml
(the last two paragraphs particularly)

http://www.familyeducation.com/article/0,1120,1-9184,00.html

These focus on the very young, but I think some
inferences can be made.

I will continue to be on the lookout for more specific
information - Dawn