Is art education dead?

---------

From: Diane Gregory (dianegregory_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 19:26:39 PDT

Hi All,

I have been following the dialogue about constructivism and
some of the comments made about my recent post regarding the
death of art education.

I am wanting to clarify what I meant in a recent e-mail
regarding the death of art education.

When I said that art education is dead, I meant the
traditional way that we think about the profession of art
education is now dead. Certainly, art learning is alive and
well and working to improve the lives of countless people.
I was referring to the discipline or subject matter of art
education. I believe the goals and objectives of our own
profession are too narrowly construed and we need to
reconceptualize the profession. This would require action
to reorganize the whole profession. It would require a
radical cultural, psychological, social and educational
revolution within the field. I am calling for a major
revolution in our thinking, feeling and doing the
"profession" of art education. I am calling for a major
revolution in the way art teachers are being prepared and
the way that art education is carried out within our world.

As far as talking about ideas, I believe when I introduced
the subject about reinventing the profession of art
education and therefore the subject matter of art education
itself, it was in the context of talking about ideas. The
field has too narrowly defined itself and we need to
transform the conceptual and epistemological base of our own
discipline. Doing so would require quite a bit of idea
generation as we reconceive our own epistemology. It would
require a think tank and a plan of action.

Hope this clarifies my position.

---