PBS Art21

---------

From: Amanda Linn (toasterart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 07:53:44 PDT

I would have to disagree that this series is "slow" or
like other videos. First, the artists are not all dead
white men. I applaud PBS for supporting projects like
this one. If you are a teacher who wants to use
contemporary ideas and images with your students, it
is exciting to see a video series like this one. It
has to be beneficial for everyone to see creation that
pushes the boundaries of traditional art forms.
I also liked the fact that the artists were grouped in
themes. If the artist's relation to the theme was
unclear... good. Ambiguity makes me think harder.
I have used the segment on Barry McGee and Margaret
Kilgallen with my multimedia students. The kids really
responded to the fact that these artists were young.
We had a great discussion about the transition of the
artists work from the street to the gallery. I like
when McGee says he wanted to learn everything he could
when he got to art school. If using this series makes
the teacher work a little harder to know the
material...GOOD. A little hard work never hurts us!

Just some thoughts...
Amanda Linn

=====
"every saint has a past- every sinner a future"
Oscar Wilde