Re: Photoshop

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 21:36:13 PDT

Michelle Harrell writes

> One of the things I've done this year is to require students to bring in a
> JPEG every week from home. They can scan a family photography or take the
> digital camera home but the image must be original and not just saved off
> the internet. They build a great folder of images to pull from in later
> projects.

This is an excellent idea.
Copyright issues are so important to be maintained, especially when you are
working with computer imagery. Kids think everything on the web is
"available" to use.
The possibilities and wonder of image manipulation software is awesome.
But, we have a responsibility to maintain integrity and original thought and
not just use the technology for
"contentless" manipulation.

> I desparately need ideas for my computer graphics class so please post to
> the list for all to share if possible.

Me too.
I don't have a computer graphics class (I'm trying to build one) but Media
Literacy is part of my Advanced curriculum. I believe graphic design is
about language-- metaphor, pun, analogy. I try to teach about the visual
language and looking at how advertisers manipulate through the visual
language. I did a PhotoShop lesson this year on creating a visual pun that
turned out pretty well. Lots of research on puns and word manipulation.
Searches for imagery, using the digital camera to create images, scanning,
and incorporating the images to create one composite piece. When I do this
next year, I want to have it connected to a product and make it a true
advertisement.

I hope there is more dialogue about PhotoShop lessons that go beyond simple
manipulations. I know the sophistication that this software can achieve and
I want to get to it right away and I hate the learning curve.

Patty

---