Student teacher

---------

From: sbacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 17:09:34 PDT

Hi, Everyone,

I am in the final countdown -- 6 more days. I had to cancel my dino dig
because of the amount of rain we have had here in central Ohio. Kids
digging for bones would be like pigs in a mud pen and I think the other
teachers and parents would want to do me bodily harm! I have
rescheduled for the beginning of next year since it will be a good
kickoff for the continuation of our journey through time.

Today my principal asked me if I would like a student teacher. I have
only taught in this school district for three years. I thought teachers
had to have years of experience under their belts before becoming a
mentor? I questioned her and she said that the request came from the
district office. I guess because I look like a fossil, they assume that
I am mature enough to take someone under my wing. If they only knew
that I am still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up!
Truthfully, I am constantly trying to become a better teacher everyday
-- am I qualified to do this?

Common sense tells me what the basics are that are involved in being a
mentor, but have any of you held this position? What is in store for
me? What are the pitfalls?

If you have the time to answer, I know we are all trying to wind things
up, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for taking the time
to get back to me.

Sandy

---