[Fwd: TCRecord This Week: Considerations of the Peer-Review Process]

---------

From: Rick (rlarson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 29 2002 - 14:07:00 PDT

I got this from the Teacher College TC record. Thought I'd pass it
along.
Betsy

attached mail follows:

TCRecord for the Week of May 27th, 2002 -- http://www.tcrecord.org

This week TCRecord Takes on Two Contentious Issues:

Peer Review - Merit-Based Procedure or Closed Network of Privilege and Power?

Claims of status, privilege, and obligation remain largely implicit and unexamined. My hope is that by continuing to scrutinize the practice of peer review the community of scholars will attend to both the productive matters of quality and efficiency and the institutional concerns of access and legitimacy.

So writes Ross Mitchell in:

Peer Review: Who is a Peer and How Should One Behave?
http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10933

Mitchell challenges the position taken by Gary Natriello in:

Time and the Review Process
http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10350

Plus Reviews of Three New Books on Reading

Patrick Groff reviews:
Success for All: Research and Reform in Elementary Education
Edited by Robert E. Slavin and Nancy A. Madden
http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10929

He concludes that:

This book on SFA thus is less useful to educators than would be one on its subject arranged so as to allow advocates of SFA to defend it, and then to be challenged by SFA antagonists, and vice versa.

Mike Currier reviews:
Reading Instruction that Works: The Case for Balanced Teaching by Michael Pressley
http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10931

Currier concludes that the book is:

..a valuable resource of significant information and viewpoints about the nature of the reading act, the essential aspects of learning to read and of not learning to read, and the processes needed to transform reading education in our elementary schools today.

Julie Nora reviews:
Literacy as Snake Oil: Beyond the Quick Fix
Edited by Joanne Larson
http://www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=10932

Nora observes:

Prepackaged literacy materials have recently entered the education market and make similar claims as the quick fix solutions to the literacy "crisis" in our nationís schools. While some of these materials may have real value, others are, in fact, harmful to the very children they aim to serve.

To unsubscribe from this weekly e-mail list please either click on the following link or, if your e-mail program does not support live links, copy and paste the ENTIRE link into a browser address window: