art and educational/spiritual development

---------

From: Janice Archer (janice_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 23:59:39 PDT

I know some of you are tired of discussions about theories, but I hope
someone can help me help a student. She wants to create a multimedia
presentation on the importance of art for children--real art as opposed to
coloring books, Kid Pix and other ready-made easy stuff that pull kids away
from drawing, painting, sculpting, and the like. Our library is limited and
we're pressed for time. Are there two or three main issues or theories on
why art helps to develop the whole child? Who are the leading theorists or
the important publications on the subject?

janice archer
art institute of portland

---