Re: Lessons learned

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 16:51:31 PDT

Tina,

Stick to your guns, and insist that the students meet your standards. I
know I felt the same way as you when I first started at the high school,
replacing an art teacher who'd been here 32 years and who had apparently
been on cruise control the last ten. The admin and teachers saw the
difference right away, even if the students were still signing up
thinking this was an easy A class. You really need the support of your
admin and fellow teachers. I hope no one else is thinking of these
changes as "competing" for students, at the expense of a well-rounded
education. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row, that your curric
is meeting the standards even if other teachers' are not, and that you
have lots of documentation to show for it (like photos of student work).

Good luck, and never doubt yourself!

Maggie

Christine Colera wrote:

> I am a fairly new teacher - This is the end of my
> second year of teaching. I work for a charter high school where it is
> run by the administration and the teachers. <snip>
> The department chair and I have been restructuring our program so that
> it is more standards based, where before it far easier to pass, now it
> is far more challenging. I have started to doubt my ideas, I have
> also believed that art is hard work to reach quality and I have tried
> to instill this idea into my students. Unfortunately, I know that
> this differs with their ideas of "I will take this class because it
> will be fun and easy." <snip> I am starting to doubt the rigor
> of my class standards, yet in my heart I know that what I cover is
> important and the way to offer the best education to my students.
> Where is the balance? How do I compete with easier class offerings, <snip>

---