Re: PBS Art: 21 series

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 13:54:51 PDT

The series is available on tape

http://www.art21.org/
I purchased it from Amazon at a lesser price.

I ordered the teacher guide for this long before it was broadcast, and was
very much looking forward to the series. I must say I'm a bit disappointed.
It's just as boring as most art videos.

but
I do like the themes presented, and in my AP class am using the themes.
I don't like to present an artist to my class that I am not familiar with.
Although many on these tapes are artists I know, many I have had to
investigate.
I must say, sometimes I have trouble with the artists selected presenting
in the theme category.

 I love the work of Louise Bourgeois but I thought she looked a bit foolish
in the presentation.

The series is slow moving, but that's how art is.
Unless you are prepared to give more background and information on these
artists and be prepared to answer student questions, you may set yourself
up for something that will leave the lesson cold.
Patty

---