Photoshop

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 28 2002 - 13:36:32 PDT

My server was down and I think I missed some messages about developing
PhotoShop lessons.

If all you want to do is manipulate images though brushes and filters then
save yourself some money and go with Photo Deluxe.
The beauty of PhotoShop is it's ability to work with layers and masking and
truly creating original imagery. That's the hard part to teach. The kids
easily find quick manipulations, that's easy to teach. Selecting,
combining, and working with layers is the hard part.

I too, am looking for some lesson ideas that go beyond simple manipulation.
I think I could spend my life learning PhotoShop. The intricacies and
sublties are massive.
Every key you hit leads to more options.

There are many tutorials available on the web. Weeding through is time
consuming. I find my problem is getting the kids to truly go through the
process I give, to use the program to it's full benefit and not get hung up
on the "cool" filters.

I allow a certain amount of time to "play' but then they have to get down to
business. Then they have to create something "manufactured" that looks
real.
I've decided that I don't want to use this program to supplement traditional
technique.
I want it to be valued for what it can do.

I'd really like to see some ideas that go beyond support for traditional
technique.

Has anyone done anything with ImageReady?

Patty

---