RE: Reactions to National Standards in Art

---------

From: Martha Ulakovits (MSQU_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 27 2002 - 21:23:41 PDT

Jen,
  Unfortunately, until our principals are told that there is going to be a
separate section for the arts on standardized tests and that the school
could lose funds if the score fell below the standards set, little will be
done. Our school administrators are responding to greater accountability-but
not in the arts. While our music and art teachers are doing their best to
make our administrators and fellow teachers aware of our standards, we are
being told that our main objective is to assist the math and language arts
teachers in raising students' scores on standardized tests. We were just
informed that next year, all teachers will be given three benchmarks each
week. We are to teach to them. These benchmarks target skill development in
reading, writing and mathematics. At this time. elementary art teachers are
already juggling 25-30 classes a week, teaching 4-700 students in 30 to 55
minute spurts. We are expected to plan sequential lessons that teach our
county standards. We have to include strategies for ESOL (English as a
second language), and ESE ( a myriad of special needs students). With our
highly mobile population, we are constantly playing "catch up." There really
is a limit. Choices have to be made.
Martha